Sunday, October 21, 2012

Conference Tradtions


 Our very favorite weekend of the year has come and went, we enjoyed every second of it though.  I love General Conference and the inspiration it gives me to be a better person.  I always have long lists of new goals after each session.  Confenerence comes around every six months and as much as I love the spring session, fall is even better. It is always right during Harvest and is about the busiest time of year. I love having a full Sunday with just my family to be lazy and eat Sticky Buns for breakfast and watch the morning session of conference.  The last couple of years we have started a new tradition of going for a drive during the afternoon session.  The kids watched a movie in the car with their headphones, Hagen slept and Weston and I listened to inspired talks from our church leaders and enjoyed some beautiful scenery.  For me it didn't last near long enough.  We ended our drive at Big Springs and let the kids feed the fish for a few minutes. 

Maybe I am just growing up a little but this conference was different for me.  I came into it with questions and desires and a friend brought me a little treat with a note that said something about how to recieve answers to life's questions from conference.  It instructed to list your questions or concerns and pray about each one and then to listen with an open heart to each talk.  Let me just tell you, that worked like a charm for me. 

I was so excited to hear that the missionary age had been reduced to 18 for young men! That just re-confirmed my decision to send Cole to school this year as having him have to wait a whole year out of high school to go on a mission was leaving me feeling distraught. I was very worried about the fact that a good chunk of the boys in his class would be able to leave a whole year ahead of him and he would be left alone. I also think that is a time in young peoples lives when a lot of sin creeps in. I was overyjoyed to hear that he can now leave right out of high school with all his peers if he so chooses! (fingers crossed)

1 comment:

Brett and Tiffany said...

Those are fun traditions! I too have a greater appreciation for conference these last few years...you just want to soak in all you can.