My Mother's Day gift came early this year and not in the form of an item of any kind, but it was the best gift ever. I know as mothers we never feel fully adequate in our job. At least I don't. Each morning I promise myself that I will be a better mother today. Each day I come up short. My short temper wins more often than I would like, but I am trying and gaining better control each day. I don't read or play with my kids enough, and each evening is filled with regrets for the mistakes I made that day. Every night after my kids are asleep I tiptoe into their rooms, tuck their blankets under their chins and after a kiss on the forehead I silently promise that tomorrow will be better.
As I reflect on the last eight years that I have been a mother, I realize the leaps and bounds of improvement I have made in the mothering department. I feel bad that Kallie had to be my guinea pig, but grateful that she is patient and forgiving with me. My Mother's day gift came while we were at a "Mom's and Muffins" night at the kids school. They read little snipets of interviews that they had given the kids about their moms. When Kallie was asked what my favorite thing to eat was, she answered "healthy stuff" and when asked what my favorite thing to do was, the response was "read". I know it may sound stupid but I beamed inside because even with all the mistakes I make every single day, I do a couple things right! My kids don't love to eat healthy but they recognize that I do. My kids may not love to devour a book right now, but they can see that their mom enjoys a good story. I was elated that without consciously making the effort to do so; some of the very few good habits I have are noticed by my kids. It gave me hope that maybe I am and can be a good example to them. Maybe every day isn't a complete failure! If nothing else maybe someday they can read this and know I tried!
This small gift ignited a fire in me and I have a renewed determination to do and be better. For my sake as much as theirs!!
1 comment:
Wonderful post! You are a great writer. I love blog posts straight from the heart! You are a great mom!
Post a Comment