Tuesday, June 24, 2014

A Really Big Deal

For the fourth year in a row, I MADE Kallie play softball.  We have a rule in our home (thanks to my mom and dad) that the kids have to try things for a few years until they are good enough to know whether they like it or not.  Well this has been the case with Kallie with many things in the past few years including softball.  In Kallie's league they play fast pitch and the kids pitch but no walking is allowed.  In fact if a kid gets pitched four balls then the coach will pitch however many strikes they have left.  This makes the games go much faster but also means that in order to get on base you have to either hit the ball or be hit by the ball.  Last year Kallie only hit the ball one time, the very last game and the very last time she was at bat.  Too bad she got thrown out at first! Running the bases is the funnest part of softball.  After a long season of many, many strikeouts last year she really didn't want to play again.  I made her though and our theory seems to have some merit now.  

The first couple games this year went by with strikeouts.  We practiced a lot at home and I tried hard to help Kallie gain some confidence. (She hit every ball i threw at her at home, but got stage fright in games) Well not too far into the season, Kallie got her first hit! She was so surprised that she forgot to run! Her whole team was yelling "RUN"!! I wish i could've got a better picture of the HUGE grin on her face.  That one hit was all it took.  She had only a few strikeouts the rest of the season and had a blast! I was so proud of her and by the end of the season she was practicing on her own a lot and getting really excited for games.  (As apposed to crying and faking sick!)  I am proud of Kallie for working hard and doing her best at something that wasn't easy for her.  



No comments: