I feel like Hagen has been lost in the hustle and bustle of summer time. He is such a good kid and the big kids take such good care of him that sometimes I panic wondering where he is or what he is doing only to realize that he is perfectly cared for. He won't be left out of anything and tags along with the kids wherever they go. He refuses to nap and is the last one to bed every night. I could go on and on about the many things I adore about this little guy; like that his favorite snack is fresh red or green peppers. Seriously what two year old eats that? I am in awe at every meal watching what he eats. We joke that he doesn't have any taste buds at all. He will always eat the veggies off his plate first followed by the fruit and then meat. Almost always the starchy carbs go untouched. Not normal, especially in our family. We make it a game of seeing what he will eat, it is pretty much anything with the exception of jello and he doesn't love milk but will drink it occasionally.
We finally got Hagen moved upstairs with the big kids and I am not going to lie that tugged at my heartstrings a bit. He has done great up there though and is pretty proud of his new firetruck room. He insists that anyone who comes to our house see it. I can't believe he isn't a baby anymore. We are officially potty trained, Yay!! And although he still wants his blankie, baffy, and sippy to carry to bed he doesn't need rocked to sleep anymore. Yes this is what I want and need before #4 graces us with his presense but it still makes me sad.
Hagen is talking so much and mimics everything. He sings along with the radio which is hilarious and makes up his own words to the tune of "I am a Child of God". He is most definately the center of attention in our home and even our neighborhood.
Developmentally and growth wise Hagen is right on track. He is still small for his age but that is okay. Since we last took Hagen to the doctor in Salt Lake, we have been trying in vain to get him to quit staring at lights. We were originally told that he would have extreme photophobia (light sensitivity) and would be uncomfortable in the sun without glasses on ect. We have been diligent about hats and sunglasses, and he doesn't seem to fight that at all. Our problem is really more indoors. We cannot get Hagen to quit staring at the lights. The doctor told us that this is something that kids with really bad vision will do for sensory stimulation but that Hagen's vision isn't bad enough to warrant this behavior. We were advised to strongly discourage this behavior, as it can cause serious vision damage. I feel like we are in a losing battle with this one. The problem is getting worse all the time. He stares at the kitchen lights the most but lately be have caught him focusing his gaze on the sun and the other night he had a Mag-Light flashlight an inch from his eye just staring at it. I tried to look at the kitchen lights that he is so obsessed with and after 3 seconds had to look away because my eyes were killing. He will stare at them without blinking for really long stretches of time. Hagen knows he isn't supposed to do this and when we get after him he rapidly looks away and sometimes will cry like we hurt his feelings. One night he was staring at the light in the pickup while Wes was buckling him into his seat. Weston told him to quit looking at the lights, and he replied with the whitty response, "then shut them off dad"!
He seems to see just fine, but this behavior along with the fact that even if he had completely normal vision this could severely damage his eyes has me a worried mess. Fingers are crossed that baby number four comes out with steady little eyeballs!

No comments:
Post a Comment