Friday, October 25, 2013

D- Day

I entered the NICU on the morning of October 16th feeling anxious and excited to get to take my baby home.  I was anxious to take myself home, sleep in my own bed and have my family back together again. I was also miserably sick. I had woke up in the night in pain and immediately knew I had mastitis.  I have never had it before, but there really was not much guessing.  I had to wait until 8:30 to get ahold of the doctor and start an antibiotic.  I was pretty miserable by 10:00 when I showed up at the hospital to get the baby ready to go. 

Aside from being in pain it was a great day.  The nurses were so happy for me and affectionately called this D-Day. I was confused since I know that D-Day was on June 6, and it also marks the day when Allied troops invaded Normandy during WWII. I also think it is a rather sacred day in military terms so I was suprised by their usage of it. With a blank stare on my face, I racked my brain for a good thirty seconds trying to make some sort of connection.  All I could come up with was that they were joking that Hayes would join the allied troops (the other kids) and the invasion of them against me would begin. I chuckled at their joke and then they told me that D-Day was their term for Discharge Day.  Wow, I overanalyzed that one.  It was definately time for some pain meds, antibiotics and sleep. 

We let the kids get out of school and join us as we brought Hayes home.  They were so excited! It had been a long two weeks for them.  I seriously didn't even feel good enough to get off that chair.  I even let Debi dress the baby and Weston buckled him in his seat.
 

Hayes was so cute and tiny in that big old chair.  His jammies didn't even come close to fitting him, and his hat kept falling over his eyes. 

I managed to stand up for a family picture but didn't have to fake a smile. Even though I was getting sicker by the minute, I can't express the happiness and gratitude I felt that we were taking this baby home!

The kids couldn't wait to get their hands on Hayes when we got home.  They were all so good with him and passed him around between the three of them all day long. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Brett and Tiffany said...

so glad you got to bring him home! What a cute family! Hard to believe you have grown from just having Kallie when you lived in Egin to this cute clan! Time flies!