Thursday, August 16, 2012

Ocular Albinism Update

 Hagen had his appointment at Primary Children's yesterday.  It was a quick trip down and back, about twelve hours total.  Hagen was not overly thrilled with riding in the car that much. So unhappy about it in fact that he threw up all over just to show me who was boss.(Actually I think he was a bit carsick)  Luckily I packed an extra outfit for him, otherwise the doctor probably would've refused him service.  Once we got to the city we ran a couple errands and got the kids some school shoes.  (They stayed home with Grandma, Thank heavens!) Then we headed to that wonderful hospital.  My heart fills right up with gratitude every time I step in those doors.  Gratitude that my kids are healthy and happy.  Gratitude that I have those ambitious, smart, big hearted doctors to help my son.  Gratitude that I am only there for one hour or so. 

Hagen loved the waiting room of that place, and our appointment was late enough in the afternoon that he had it mostly to himself.  He stomped around and threw toys all over the joint.  All the nurses claimed to be in love with him.  I have to admit he was rather cute, cute until they called him back and he had to leave the toys.  Then he became a little not so cute. He was mad that he couldn't play anymore and then he was terrified of the doctors "eye checker helmet" thing.

After all his 18 month old nonsense, we learned that his vision has stayed the same since we were there six months ago. Good News! We learned that we really won't learn much until he is four or five years old, and by then we should know how good or bad his vision will be for life. He will continue to be seen by a specialist quarterly until he starts kindergarten at least, just to monitor his progress or lack thereof.  We were pretty happy with how the appointment went, and grateful that so far he is progressing nicely.  The importance of sunglasses, hats, and sunscreen was re-stressed to us.  I am happy to report that he is finally leaving his sunglasses on for long periods of time while outside and he loves his hat and refuses to go out without it.  I like the excuse to spend money on cute hats for him, and my friends with babies regularly comment on their jealousy that he will wear a hat. 

 The attempt at entertaining with a movie and headphones, no go!
Oh and did I mention that this is how he takes a day off? At least 15 phone calls and no less than ten texts and hour! He was a barrell of fun to visit with!

We had a not so fun long drive home after the doctor. It just so happened to be exactly 5:00 pm when we left the hospital and so we found ourselves in some lovely rush hour traffic.  Rush hour traffic only exists in Parker when there is more than one car at the four way stop on the way to take kids to school in the morning.  I was trying in vain to keep said baby awake until we could get out of the city , get some dinner, and make a "quick" stop at the famous Smith and Edwards.  (Supplier of all the Ranch and Farm crap one can imagine, my Idaho farm boy's dream store) I was busting out every trick I could come up with and the only one Hagen liked was sword fighting with straws.  Only problem; he giggled himself right to sleep! After making the HUGE mistake of waking him up to stop for food, he screamed for an hour or so before we stopped for gas.  Weston took him into the gas station with him to give him a break.  Hagen insisted upon some Mini Oreos, and was so dang cute asking for "more" with his sign language.  When I would offer him a drink or a different snack he would shake his head but when I held up an Oreo he would rapidly nod his head and say "Ya Ya"! He cried a fair amount more one the way home and finally went to sleep 30 minute from home.  I'm crossing my fingers that he will be a funner traveling partner in six months when we take him back.

No comments: