Monday, August 20, 2012
Cougar Pride
Recently I have been consumed with thoughts of our schools and more personally my kids' education. I know that this is a very sensitive matter and that is exactly why I want to address it. This is part of my new blog resolve; to write things that matter to me so that my kids can know how their mother felt about life's issues.
We have a wonderful community here, we have so many great caring people that work their little tails off to make things good. I personally attended school here and while I agree that I probably have a biased opinion and that maybe I would be a bit more "educated" had I ventured out of good ole St. Anthony at some point, I think it's a pretty great place to be.
While I realize that we have many concerning issues in our school district, I don't for a second believe that we can't fix those problems or that our kids can't get a great education here. I have been told (more than once) that I am young and naive and that my kids aren't old enough for me to see the problems. I agree, I am young and possibly naive, but THANK YOU for the compliment. I will always be ten years younger and dumber to some!
I believe that as long as I am a proactive parent, I can assure my kids that they will get the education that they need. I want my kids to be confident that as their mother I will be at their side every step of the way, but I also want my kids to learn to deal with what they've been handed in life. I want them to face challenges head on and to be confident that they can do and be whatever they want.
I realize my kids are young, and I plan to follow my mother's advice to "never say never" but for now I plan to teach my kids what I feel are the most important things. Those are; work hard, take responsibility, be your best self, and blossom where you are planted. I want my kids to know that I believe we were planted right here in Parker Idaho for a reason. I don't desire for my kids to be amazing athletes, world class musicians, or Albert Einstein geniuses. I do desire and expect for them to be good citizens, hard workers, and faithful servants of their Heavenly Father; and that my friends can be accomplished right where we are.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I love this Mandi! I totally agree with you!
I have loved all your posts. I love your honesty and I can totally relate in so many ways throughout your posts! You are great!
A double AMEN to this! I too have an overwhelming sense of Cougar Pride, and I too believe that your school is only as good as your parents who support them are. I was a teacher in an alternative school and saw the kids that ended up there, I'll tell you that the declining education forecast has more to do with what is happening inside these kids' homes. If ANY parent is willing to put in the work, time, and effort to support their child's education - their child will be educated. If it's a priority in your home, it will translate to your children. So whether it be SF, or even Kingston NY - kids will thrive when they have parents who support them and actually expect them to work hard. I received a SUPERB education at SFHS and feel like it prepared me to attend with scholarship at BYU (okay I tooted my own horn), but we have great teachers out there who need our support. If all the supportive parents take their kids to the "good" schools is it a question that these school districts start to suffer? We as parents need to take the lemons and make lemonade!
Post a Comment