Saturday, April 19, 2014

Branding Day

Somedays I hate that reality forces Weston to have a town job.  I mean I realize that the bills need paid and we are so blessed to have a great job where Weston receives a steady paycheck and I am able to stay home with the kids.  I'm also very grateful that we can double dip a bit and Weston can do farm work in the evenings and our kids can work along side him then, but some days I long for my kids to have what I had as a child.  

Growing up it was "The Family Farm".  If we didn't do the work, it simply didn't get done.  The pipe moving, hay baling, cattle feeding and milking and all other farm jobs were "the whole family's" responsibility.  At a young age we were driving pickup trucks and riding horses to move cattle.  I remember being 12 or 13 and being terrified of a blow snake that was right next to a pipe that I had to pick up.  I was certain that picking raspberries was the worst punishment ever and bottle feeding calves was in no way exciting. I didn't have many of the material things that my kids enjoy today but I had so much more.  

For these reasons I was sad when branding day came along and Weston had a busy day at work to attend to.  Cole was dying to go out and help and I couldn't resist the urge to take him out of school and let him help.  He had a blast and worked all day.  When I picked him up at four to go to baseball practice, he was tired, dirty and hungry but had a huge grin on his face.  Right after practice he insisted that he needed to get back out there and finish the job.  Skyler begged him to stay and play but I was proud of Cole when he told him that it felt good to work and he wanted to go out and finish.   It may have been that Nate is Cole's idol and he was still out there but nonetheless, out he went!

I think Grandpa is pretty proud of these boys that enjoy doing what he loves.  Cole and Nate are so far the only ones that really love the cows and horses, and it is a great way for them to bond with Grandpa and each other.  

Hagen is a young up and comer.  He would've loved to stay out and help as well, but can't yet be trusted without his mama!



I'm not too sure just how "helpful' these boys are but Cole was on cloud nine for the rest of the weekend.  (Which may be in part to Uncle Brett allowing him to go with the Big Boys to see a late night movie after a long days work)

No comments: