Monday, April 27, 2009

Brags or Blogs???

I am a weird person, I realize but I have this weird issue with blogs. No offense anyone, but I sometimes feel that they should be called "Brags" instead of "Blogs". It seems as if everyone posts only the wonderful things that happen, in a sense trying to portray how much better their life is than everyone else's. I told you I have weird issues, and remember this is directed at no one in particular.
For this reason I only post every month or so and I try to keep it real, however this post may contradict everything I have just said. My reasoning, I just want everyone to know that ANYTHING is possible. Two weeks ago I ran in my FIRST but probably not last HALF MARATHON!!


(That is me in the pink shorts and blue shirt crossing the finish line, I realize I look stellar!!)


I have been "running" (more like jogging) daily for about 2 1/2 years now. After I had Cole and the realization set in that I was 20 pounds overweight and hating myself. I purchased a treadmill for myself for my birthday one year and it has been the best investment of my life. It stares me in the face all day long if I don't get on it and I feel so GUILTY.

So in January my sister-in-law Hali calls to tell me we are entering the Salt Lake City Half Marathon. I was really excited because I had wanted to do one last year and never did. I bumped my treadmill time up and got more serious about running. I am slow but nevertheless I completed my first half marathon in 1:58, beating my goal by 2 minutes. It was exhausting but a lot of fun. I ran it with three other people who are an absolute hoot, and after about mile 7 when we all got separated I rocked out to some awesome jams the rest of the way. I had a great time, and have never been so sore!!

Not to get sappy but I strongly suggest entering a race to anyone. It really gave me something to work towards. I am still not to where I would like to be on the scale, but come on who really is?? However I feel much better about myself knowing I am at least doing something!!

14 comments:

Brett and Tiffany said...

Girl, you are AWESOME! That is a great time! You are an inspiration to me. When I see you out running it inspires me more. I have started running with Brett this year, but not close to what you are running! We are going to do our first 5K...that is about my limit right now. But it is awesome to see over time how far you have come and running a 1/2 marathon is a great achievement! Keep up the good work! I love setting a goal and accomplishing it...it always feels so good! Way to go again!

Liberti said...

You Go GIRL! Seriously -I did a 5k last year and I quickly decided running just isn't my thing (remember when we ran/pushed strollers??) - anyway now I'm totally MAD at you---Why didn't you call and tell us you were in town, even just for a day at least we could've been waiting at the finish line -You are In-Trouble-With-ME!

LaNdOn AnD cHe' said...

Gees, count me out. I am quite attached to my cellulite, the thought of looking at myself without it really does bring thoughts of absolute horror! But... congratulations anyway! That is awesome!

Poulsen Family said...

Ok, every once in a while I "blog stalk" you, but I wanted to say- WAY TO GO!
Also, I totally agree with you on the whole "brag" thing; if it makes you feel any better I post the good and the BAD, some may say I provide TO MUCH INFO sometimes.

Dan & Brooke said...

OUCH! I am afraid to right my next brag! :) j/k Way to go! Way impressed! I wish I had a little more desire to get off my butt a bit more!

Jessica Duff said...

I totally agree they should be called "brags" instead of blogs. Blogs are like year round Christmas newsletters/brag letters.

Great post though, you totally deserve bragging rights after running such an awesome half marathon pace. Well Done!!!

RoseAnna said...

Thing #1- I can't believe a tree fell over on your house. I have 2 huge pine trees in my yard and I'm always scared it will happen me.

Thing #2- New house? Fun!

Thing #3- I think if you are going to do something like a half marathon you should totally get to brag! So thank you for posting your latest brag. It really makes me feel fat and lazy though :)

Thing #4- You look like a hottie in your pink shorts! That is also something to brag about!

Mystial Batwoman said...

Way to go woman! It's amazing how a goal like a race can step up your workout to another level. I'm so proud of you Idaho girls! :)

cortney and neil said...

I am so proud of you. I don't think I could do it. You sure were hot in your pink shorts. Kind of reminds me of the P.E. days when I wouldn't wash my uniform. :) Thankfully I had a good friend who didn't want me to stink! Or maybe, it was because I was making you stink as well.

Tae-n-Meliss said...

That is stinking awesome!! I am so glad that you made a comment on the "brags" vs "blogs". I have felt that way and so I'm glad you stood up for it! Way to achieve your goal!

Summer said...

How long is a half marathon? You said you ran 7 miles and I don't know if I could ever get to that. A 5K is more for me I think. I'm just proud I can run a mile and a half! That is so amazing to me you can run that far. Way to go!

Megan and Shawn said...

I love it! That is such a great accomplishment, so BRAG on!! It was great to see you - hopefully we'll be talking to you soon.

jamie t. said...

I found your blog through Denise and Scotts' blog. I hope that you don't mind me blog stalking. Way to go with the half marathon. I'm not a runner but I admire those who do.

I also agree with you on the "brag" thing. I try to keep it as read as possible on ours. The good and the bad!

www.tonksfamily.blogspot.com

Stacey said...

You are so awesome! Way to go. One problem though, I live about 10 minutes away from SLC, and never received any notice you were here. Would have loved to see you. Nonetheless, I am SO proud of you.